- Chronic disease statistics to help practitioners rethink medical approaches
- What is a health monitoring system?
- Why is technology important in monitoring the health of individuals?
- 5 reasons to build an HMS
- Data security is the main issue
Centuries ago people died primarily due to wars, epidemics, low living standards, and a similar low level of medical care. However, times have changed, and now chronic diseases are the main threat to longevity. Technology developments are not the main reason for longer life spans, though it has helped. But technology is not a magic pill to cure chronic diseases.
However, technological developments can greatly facilitate patients’ health care and the work of doctors. A classic example of the use of modern technology in a hospital is the health monitoring system (HMS). In this article, we are going to discuss how it works and why you should think about developing these innovations for your medical institution.
Chronic Disease Statistics to Help Practitioners Rethink Medical Approaches
- 40% of the American population suffers from a chronic disease.
- 7 out of 10 deaths in America happen because of chronic disease.
- 46% of all diseases that modern doctors are treating are chronic.
- The top 3 chronic diseases of our time are cardiovascular issues, as well as alcohol and nicotine consumption-related diseases.
Modern technologies are powerful enough to help doctors and patients facilitate medical care when it comes to chronic disease treatment and monitoring. Here’s how it works.
What is a Health Monitoring System?
A Health Monitoring System (HMS) is a sophisticated technology and an alternative to the traditional management of patients and their health. It consists of a wearable wireless device like a bracelet with sensors that are paired with an application for a doctor to access the medical information.
How Does Remote Monitoring Work?
In practice, the medical monitoring system works according to the complex algorithms that we explained above. Technically, the health monitoring system has four layers:
- Sensitive layer: This layer is responsible for reading patient information. For example, it is possible to program it in such a way that a doctor can track the patient’s geographic location (important for patients with amnesia), as well as blood pressure and sugar levels.
- Networking layer: After the information from the patient is received, it is necessary to transfer it. That is where the networking layer comes into play. This part is responsible for the fast transfer of data from the device on the patient to the doctor.
- Data processing layer: At this stage, the analysis of information occurs. The system can draw a quick conclusion about the condition of a patient because it is powered by AI, and quickly notify a doctor if the patient needs immediate help. What’s more, with artificial intelligence embedded in the HMS, it is possible to make predictions that a patient may worsen, even if everything seems to be normal.
- Application layer: After the data is processed, the doctor receives a message in an application installed on his or her smartphone, tablet, or PC. When aware of everything that is going on with the patient., the doctor can make an informed decision about further treatment, allowing the patient to go home, or change the course of treatment if needed. What’s more, the most advanced health monitoring system can be powered by deep machine learning so the doctor can also receive AI-based suggestions on the diagnosis and course of action to take.
Why is Technology Important in Monitoring the Health of Individuals?
The reality of modern medicine is that there are many more patients than doctors who are able to help them. The recent pandemic has proven that the world isn’t ready for emergencies of that sort and that there is a global need for qualified doctors. The technology can support the medical staff available and lighten the burden.
As for health monitoring, there are two main ways that technology can make doctors more efficient.
With HMS, there is no need to process a large amount of data manually. The AI-powered system sends an alarm if the patient’s indicators begin to worsen or if there is a predicted threat that things are becoming dangerous. With the help of HMS systems, doctors can save time and effort.
The health monitoring software may also free up more beds in hospitals that can be occupied by patients who need urgent help. After analyzing health indicators with the help of AI, the system may suggest that a certain patient can be discharged and recover at home while receiving medical advice remotely. This allows doctors to focus on people whose lives are in danger.
Also, the HMS can help patients recover after surgery or heart attacks while staying at home and in touch with a doctor.
5 Reasons to Build an HMS
Here are the main advantages of a health monitoring system and the great reasons to develop it for your hospital to transform it into a Smart Hospital.
- Real-time health monitoring systems using IoT can help doctors prioritize patients, and provide urgent care to those who are in the most danger thereby saving lives.
- More competent patient management can help utilize the resources of the hospital more wisely and save money.
- It is easy to use the system for patients and medical professionals.
- The remote health monitoring system is especially useful to monitor patients with chronic diseases. Most chronic diseases are incurable, so it is necessary to monitor the state of the patient while at home, and quickly respond if health indicators worsen.
- The HMS is convenient and portable so it is very convenient for doctors to manage patients from one app, and it is also very easy for patients to monitor their own health by wearing a lightweight device like a bracelet.
Data Security is the Main Issue
Medical data is one of the most expensive types of information available on the black market. It costs even more to obtain than personal financial information. Hackers and fraudsters can sell medical data to obtain drugs or for blackmail purposes. That is why the issue of data cybersecurity is paramount when it comes to health monitoring system development.
Currently, the safest way to protect medical data is to employ blockchain technology. Blockchain, the Internet of Things (IoT), and Artificial intelligence form the strongest combination possible, with blockchain responsible for data safety, IoT for fast data transfer from wearable devices, and AI for accurate data analysis and predictive analytics.
Such innovation does not come cheap. However, it is possible to find an affordable way to budget for your health monitoring system project development. The best thing to do is contact a vendor who already has experience with medical projects and can find ways to develop only the features that are must-haves for your medical practice or business.
Watch this video:
We at Archer Software know how to manage a project this way, so feel free to contact us at email@example.com anytime!