Smart Hospital: What Is It and How To Build Your Own Solution?
The automation of the healthcare sphere is one of the most urgent and, perhaps, the most difficult tasks in the world. A huge amount of money is spent every year to solve it, but many problems and questions remain. The main issue includes proper interaction between various systems, especially the exchange of data at the municipal, regional, and federal levels.
Most countries develop their own concepts when it comes to the question «what is a smart hospital»: they adopt normative legal acts, introduce standards, and implement targeted programs.
The Smart Hospital concept is aimed at creating a single IT environment composed of automated «bricks» of specialized and auxiliary processes.
In the course of this new technological revolution, a huge amount of data, cloud computing services, machine learning methods, and artificial intelligence solutions are being combined.
The coalescence of medical equipment into the network has already changed the methods of work in the healthcare industry. By 2020, the widespread introduction of
This concept is based on optimization and automation of processes in the
The «fourth industrial revolution» is also of fundamental importance. It consists of combining network devices with cloud computing methods and analyzing large data and artificial intelligence, which makes it possible to call such an infrastructure «smart.»
Thinking of the smart hospital definition, we can say that it is a relatively new direction at the intersection of medicine, information, health, and business, which is related to the usage of information technology support for healthcare.
- 1. Efficiency.
- 2. Quality improvement.
- 3. Attention to personal data.
- 4. Expansion of the patient’s capabilities.
- 5. Improving the relationship between the patient and the medical organization.
- 6. Continuing education and professional development through information technology.
- 7. Realization of safe data exchange.
- 8. Expansion of the healthcare framework.
- 9. Ethical standards.
- 10. Accessibility for everyone.
Who Stands to Benefit?
Why we say a smart hospital management system will soon be a new must in healthcare?
The world is going digital and so does the patient experience — patients and hospitals use more and more
Smart hospital software offers the following benefits to healthcare facilities:
- Patient engagement. Using smart hospital room features (for example, via
touch-screenmonitors or tablets) patients and their families can enhance their experience and improve patient-doctorrelationship. They can be involved in the care process and know more about treatment progress and health condition. While staying at the hospital room they can view their health records and test results, get to know daily treatment schedules. Smart hospital also provides opportunities for disease management education.
- Streamlining communication. Patients often are dissatisfied with the
doctor-patientcommunication as in some cases doctors are more focused on computer screen than on talking to patient and monitoring his or her emotions and body language, which often give additional information about patient’s condition. And patient satisfaction is an important index in the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) survey, the scores of which directly affect reimbursement. Leveraging mobile and IoT technologies allows effective and timely patients communication with care providers thus enhancing their satisfaction.
- Workflow optimization: IoT and mobile technology can also give healthcare organization effective tools to improve performance while tracking and identifying bottlenecks and service slowdowns.
- Hospital navigation for patients and staff. Smart hospital applications can helping patients and visiting or temporary physicians and staff to find the way in the hospital. Messaging and wayfinding features can provide
turn-by-turndirections and arrival time instructions to make the navigation in large hospitals simpler and less stressful for visitors.
- Patient notification. This smart hospital software feature can significantly reduce the
no-showrates, which cost the US healthcare system $150b each year. Push notifications generated by such software can be sent to patients, in their preferred language, informing them about the time of their appointment and exact office number. Such smart hospital systems can also push updates telling the patients if the appointment location or time has changed.
- Hospital assets tracking. IoT is extensively used in many other industries for effective inventory tracking. Hospitals and care centers can use IoT applications to find out which items need to be reordered and where the assets are located.
- Leveraging data analytics. Smart devices like wearables and smartphones track huge volumes of biometric data. This data can be used by caregivers find out more about both individual patients and populations. Insights from the data can improve the quality of patient care and accelerate lifesaving research.
Sounds good enough to make own smart hospital management software, doesn’t it? But are there any challenges for those who want to build and integrate a smart hospital system?
The major challenges for hospitals on their path to becoming smart are:
- The conflict of priorities: healthcare organizations have to deliver high quality care, maintain patient safety (including safety of patient data), prevent infections, ensure financial productivity, comply with regulatory standards, and keep patients satisfied. All these challenges usually have to be addressed with limited resources.
- Becoming «smart» can take several steps: smart solutions can be implemented one by one, not in a single step. At that newer solutions must be integrated with the ones implemented earlier.
- Interoperability and cybersecurity are a must as hospital devices, systems and networks must talk to each other in such a way that allows analysis of the data and that data must be secure and unreachable for hackers.
- Unstructured data and legacy systems have to be integrated to ensure holistic analysis and provide access to all collected medical data.
- All medical personnel has to be trained to use smart systems and devices effectively to support their workflow and ensure
semi-automatedmanaging of data flow.
The process of building a smart hospital all over the world
It is important to note that
For example, Estonia is the first country in the world that decided to centralize the creation of the register of medical data and electronic medical systems, according to Electronic Health Records (EHR).
The state that ordered the development of this system requires 100% of all medical institutions in the country to use it. Thus, in Estonia, there is a single system that keeps patient data, medical history.
The other example is Latvia. Since the time of the Soviet Union, there have been about 350 reporting forms. The Latvians have simplified the system and reduced the workflow to 35 forms. A single centralized system which operates throughout Latvia has been built.
In Denmark and Norway, all hospitals should be connected to a nationwide EHR and send all data to the state register.
Now, let’s look at another model. In the US, there is not a central nationwide register of medical data, though they have used
For example Baptist Memorial Health Care focused on using new technology to provide information to patients need to make them feel comfortable during their stay, and to manage their conditions when they get home. In 2015 this healthcare facility launched the MyChart Bedside pilot program, which provides patients and families access to Baptist OneCare, the EHR platform used by this facility. The smart rooms of the hospitals allows patients view patient vitals and medical team information via
The University Hospital of the University of Missouri Health Care network features the most
The Houston Methodist Hospital is more focused on most advanced
It should be mentioned that it is in the USA where the
Indeed, Europe is developing more slowly in this aspect, but a centralized approach to the introduction of IIAs and electronic medical registers has an important advantage — the ability to interact.
Smart Hospital Features: What Is Necessary to Know about
In addition to
Classification of Medical IT Solutions
Managing workflows and patient data
Collection, storage, and transmission of clinical data
Viewing and processing diagnostic data
Telemedicine is a complex combination of technical facilities for conducting remote consultations and examinations of patients.
What Are the Components to Be Used to Build a Smart Hospital Management System?
Smart hospital software development implies the use of smart technology systems, smart mobility systems and smart systems for patients, staff and equipment. Those systems provide smart functionality to everyday objects such as tablets and smartphones and medical devices.
The most common smart technologies used in smart hospital software are WiFi, active RFID, sensors, integration platforms, mobile apps, wearables and various dashboards. And of course, smart hospital software often leverages the power of big data and cloud technologies.
Our Achievements in
Archer software has been working in the IT sphere for more than ten years. During this period of time, we have worked on a number of projects. Among them, a variety of different
In an attempt to design a smart hospital tool, our team paid attention to such points as HIPAA and MDChat. The app will let the professionals in the healthcare area stay in touch with each other, making it easier to consult on difficult cases, get new information, exchange knowledge, and so on.
Another project our team is working on is the Chronic Wellness Tracker. As we started our work on this application, we were asked to create a tool that would be a helper for people with chronic diseases. The application monitors a person’s state and provides information about any changes in it. With the extension, people can get a timely warning about the worsening state of their health, and visit a doctor in a timely manner. The tool will save the medical workers’ time, as well.
Beyond the Hospital allows users to monitor their health at all times and inform a doctor if necessary.
Our team was also asked to improve the System for Neuro Diagnostic Device. We did our best in order to make the system work as best as possible. In fact, we still continue our work on the project, as it is our task to make the system work smoothly 24/7. Moreover, similar work is done on Innovative Software Solution for Sensory & Pain Evaluation Device.
As you can see, our team has worked with a number of projects related to the
Smart Hospitals and
e-Health in Ukraine
Medical reformers presented the first version of the electronic medical system to the Ukrainian public. In the long term, it will be able to save us all from unnecessary red tape and simplify the relationship between the doctor and the patient. It will provide an opportunity to track what kind of medical services were paid for, as well.
In 2016, the Ministry of Health stated that every stage of medical reform will be accompanied by the introduction of an electronic healthcare system. To put it simply, this is the transition from paper to electronic documents and interaction processes. On April 6, representatives of the Ministry of Health and expert organizations officially presented a demo version of the first components of
The system was launched on July 1, 2017, but there is still a lot of work ahead and much depends on the participants, themselves. Medical institutions should understand the need for the system and actively engage it in the healthcare sphere.
The first stage, which includes the filling of registries (hospitals, primary medicine doctors, and patients), and the electronic prescriptions for the «Available Medications» program, is planned by the Ministry of Health to be implemented by the end of 2017.
In 2018, the department will begin to create a private room for patients, in which doctors can provide medical information. Simultaneously, doctors will be introduced to the secondary and tertiary systems.
The ultimate goal of the Ministry of Health is to launch a
Building a Smart Solution for Vets — Archer Software’s Experience
Archer Software’s portfolio includes smart software for veterinary clinics/hospitals. The key options of this EMR and Practice Management suite are similar to any other
- Dashboard — allows controlling the whole clinic practice. The solution
user-friendlyinterface allows effective managing client and patient data. The dashboard provides access to all areas of account, such as Clients & Patients, Scheduling, Inventory & Procedures, Transactions, Reports, & Settings, and allows viewing current appointments, inventory and open invoices, searching in the data base, creating new EMRs, and running reminder reports.
- Client and patient profiles — contain information about clients and patients (e.g., home address, billing address,
- Scheduling (appointment management) — allows appointing meetings and tracking appointments for today, this week, or this month. This feature allows selecting the date, time, and doctor, and any important notes you may need to document. Before saving the appointment, you can add procedures that will instantly create an invoice you can customize during the patient’s visit.
- Reminders — allows keeping existing clients coming back for annual exams, vaccinations, or other procedures thanks to efficient reminding system, which sends reminders via the US Postal system,
- Inventory and Procedures — gives the doctors access to their storage balance and lets them manage the medication inventory. Integration with the special printer allows printing the labels for prescribed medications.
- Lab tests tracking — allows to track the lab tests performed by Antech laboratories using the APIs provided by Antech.
- Preset documents forms allow easy procedure documentation and medicine prescription. Documents & images
pre-populatedfolders are set up in separate categories, such as Lab Results, X-Rays, Ultrasounds, Clinical Images, Previous Medical Records,
- Transactions — this section helps the doctors gain control on payments, billing and invoicing given all procedures provided to the client. Payment options include cash, credit card, bank cheque. This option also allows viewing client statistics. Any transaction deletion must be verified, so the data cannot be lost.
- Data import/export allows add new data and provide the client with his EMR zip file if he leaves the clinic. This option is performed by admins only, so unauthorized access is impossible.
- Reports allow analyzing the clinic and patient information on a daily basis, such as financial reports, reminders, or low inventory. All reports are downloaded to Excel files and can be easily integrated with other types of software. Using reporting option you can view the information on deleted transactions, income analysis, inventory/service, invoices, referral sources, reminders, taxes.
- Data base storage on cloud based server requires nothing to upload and no
start-upor training fees. Your information is safe as the data base copy is created every 24 hours and data base dump is done every 60 days.
To integrate this solution into practice a clinic is given a free trial (up to 500 clients). Our experience has proven that smart solutions can be integrated within reasonable period of time. These solutions allow integration of patient data accumulated by a clinic thus providing more effective data use and analysis.
Why Is It Important to Create an
In the modern world, with the extremely fast tempo of life,
Well thought out and implemented smart hospital design gives us these incredible possibilities, and helps us to avoid worrying about cumbersome paperwork.
Taking into consideration the great experience of the Archer team, we can provide you with all the necessary help in the creation and development of
If you have an