Smartling is a translation management platform and language services provider that enables customers to localize content across devices and platforms. Smartling established Enterprise Translation Cloud, a data-driven approach to localization, which enables its customers to achieve higher quality translation at a lower total cost. Smartling is the platform of choice for hundreds of B2B and B2C brands, including InterContinental Hotels Group, GoPro, Shopify, Slack, and SurveyMonkey.
Smartling translation management software powers multilingual content for global businesses
On-line businesses must reach non-English speaking web users in their native language but current translation processes are too slow and manual to keep pace with today’s business practices. There is demand for a modern cloud-based technology to replace the aging localization process. The new approach must allow businesses to work with translation resources of choice while enable automatic capture and deployment of translated content.
- The Smartling Platform was built from scratch in 2009 by Smartling’s co-founder and an Archer software architect. Today Smartling is a scalable platform for managing translation, extracting content and delivering translations, allowing Web apps to be converted into up to 100 languages – all as rapidly as companies release updates to their sites or apps.
- A team of 40 Archer engineers collaborate with distributed Smartling teams to support development and significant infrastructure across multiple data centers serving more than a billion page views per month on behalf of Smartling clients.
- The team is very efficient using modern agile software development processes including continuous deployment. New code is moved to production multiple times each day for exceptional speed to market for new features and bug fixes.
- Archer's Ops team provides Smartling with 24/7 support ensuring 99.99% uptime.
- Archer was instrumental in helping Smartling achieve PCI Level 1 and SOC2 certified.
- Outsource partnership with Archer allowed Smartling be market ready in record time a low-cost. Our cost effective outsourcing model helped Smartling to save $10M to date. Having a staff of 180+ full-time IT professionals Archer is able to provide the services at a reasonable cost, with no HR and back-office overhead (like recruiting fees, taxies, benefits, paid vacations, etc.) for Smartling.
- Smartling raised $63M in venture capital from First Round Capital, IDG Ventures, US Venture Partners, Venrock.
- Among Smartling's clients are of the world's hottest tech companies like SurveyMonkey, foursquare, Path, Vimeo, Nokia, Kodak, Pratt & Whitney and more.
- Winner of Dow Jones / Wall Street Journal’s “FASTech 50” for most innovative startup.
- The Smartling platform currently serves more than one billion page views per month.
Tools and Technologies:
- Stack: CentOS, Java with Spring / Hibernate, Apache Tomcat, Apache
- Smartling RPS is HTTP reverse proxy that can parse and substitute website content;
- Dashboard of Translation Management System: Web Java app (Tomcat 6, JDK 1.6, Spring 3.0, Hibernate 3.5);
- Middleware: RabbitMQ, memcached, tarantool
- Data storage: Percona MySql, MongoDB, Amazon S3, Rackspace Cloud Files
- Deployment platform: Amazon EC2 (240+ instances) Monitoring: Zabbix, Monit